Skip to main content

Luke Nash- Report on Changing Places Toilets.

Introduction


This report is being written on behalf of 250,000 disabled people who need a high dependency toilet to live their life to the fullest, to highlight the importance of Changing Places toilets. It shows the results of a survey of 113 people and their experiences with existing toilet provisions.
What are Changing Places toilets? – Standard accessible toilets do not meet the needs of all disabled people. “To use the toilet in safety and comfort, many people need to be able to access a Changing Places, which have more space and the right equipment, including a height adjustable changing bench and a hoist.” (Changing Places Consortium, 2018)
My aim
Currently, building regulations are under review into whether any changes need to be made to the guidance of the provision of toilet facilities for people with disabilities (see part M on HMCLG website).  After approximately four years of hard campaigning locally and nationally I have worked very closely with Leicester city football club and Silverstone race circuit and have managed to get toilets in both these venues, but my ultimate goal is to change legislation so that no matter where you are in the country provision is consistent. I have constructed an analysis based document with people who have supported me along the way in hopes to make a change in legislation so that every large building or venue has vital facilities for those with profound disabilities to be able to access day to day services.
My personal experience
I am a very passionate 19 year old who has Cerebral palsy of all four limbs. I have a dream that people of all disabilities can have the same quality of lifestyle, if they desire to do so, as able-bodied people. My family and I believe that no matter what situation you are in everybody should have equal access to public and private facilities such as sporting venues, concerts and shopping centres etc. Those with profound disabilities should not be worried that they cannot go to the toilet, as this is a basic human right. I myself have experienced over the last 19 years some shocking situations for example; being changed on dirty toilet floors, back of ambulances, back seats of cars and in parks. All of these are undignified and it’s got to stop!
I recently went to London armed with prior knowledge that there aren’t many Changing Places toilets available in the area of London we were visiting (City of Westminster). My carers and I planned where we were going to visit on the day and the facilities that were available to me nearby. Here are a few comments from the accounts of that day from my two carers that came with me (to read full accounts see appendix 1.0 and 1.1).
  • “Staff informed us that the facilities were out of order. However, they gave us a list of other Changing Places toilets that were around the city of Westminster of which there were only 4 other places.” (see appendix 1.0)
  • “After finally walking back to Westminster Abbey, at which we arrived at 13:47pm it was nearly a whole two hours from initially arriving into London.” (see appendix 1.0)
  • “On arrival at Victoria Embankment Gardens, the toilets were not clearly sign posted, we had to ask around aimlessly for awhile until we managed to locate them.” (see appendix 1.1)
  • “The relief soon turned into frustration when realised that the hoist had not been put on charge and so therefore it was unusable” …” Katie and I had to use manual handling to toilet Luke- something which isn’t recommended at all for us all or for Luke.” (see appendix 1.1)
Process of surveying
In my research I conducted a questionnaire which participants could complete online or on a paper copy. During the period of surveying, I questioned a lot of different people from different walks of life. Of the 113 people that completed the survey the results came from:
  • Parents/ carers of children with disabilities.
  • Disabled children/ adults themselves.  
  • Family members of those who are disabled.
  • Those that work with those with disabilities.


Discussion
My findings show that the majority of disabled adults and children require a changing table and hoist to be able to go to the toilet. This is because they are immobile of either an acquired accident or from birth.  This is clearly evident from question one (see appendix 2.0 for pie chart) which shows that 70.27% of people surveyed required these vital and life changing facilities. The additional comments from question one show that it is not only 250,000 disabled wheelchair users that benefit from having a Changing Places toilet nearby but it is also the elderly population. Comments include: “I need a Changing Places bathroom for my elderly mother, she uses a hoist at home but when we go out she isn’t able to use the toilet.”  (See appendix 2.1 for all comments) These results show that there is a high demand for these Changing Places toilets and that legislation needs to change to be more inclusive for everyone. So that they can access the community without worrying that they need to go to the toilet.
My findings from question two (see appendix 2.2 for pie chart and 2.3 for responses) show that people really consider where to take their family members when they are going out. Of the 113 people that completed the survey, 102 (91.89%) out of 111 people who answered the question agreed. However, a disadvantage of the surveying process is that not everyone answered each question, this could have an implication on the results and their representativeness.
My findings from question three (see appendix 2.4 for pie chart) show that 71.84% of people say that they take their child or adult home when they need changing, although 28.16% say they don’t.  These findings are very concerning because when you need to go to the toilet it can be very uncomfortable. Especially when you cannot be changed or when it’s in an unhygienic/ undignified condition.  Here are some of the responses that I got from question 3 (see appendix 2.5 for all other responses):
  • “We have to change her in the car.”
  • “We would have to find a place to change her on the floor.”
  • “I go home.”
What my survey has highlighted is that people obviously have to change their child wherever they are at that moment when they need changing, people really have to plan where they are going to take their child on a day out. Which to me is not right, where ever you want to take your child you should not have to worry about whether the correct facilities are in place. (refer to appendix 3.0 for a break down on the number of Changing Places toilets are in each county.)
My findings from question four are really eye opening in the way that people have responded because they have responded with stories not just a few words.  Here are the most impactful (see appendix 2.6 for all responses):
  • “We have had many occasions where an accessible toilet could not even fit her wheelchair into the space (she’s only 12). We once went to Morecambe but the CP facility was locked and nobody could find the key... we live in Bingley ... our Town Council are renovating the public toilets and have not factored in a Changing Places ... I am campaigning right now to get them to change their minds.”
  • “I once had to change my child on the tarmac at an airport, surrounded by suitcases to try to achieve some privacy. I have personally been campaigning for Changing Places since 2003 - before the Mencap campaign began. Surely after 15 years it is time to make the provision of Changing Places compulsory under the building regs???”
  • “Disabled toilets aren't big enough to even get a carer and electric wheelchair in, let alone start to change. I also had an experience where disabled toilet was shared with baby changing. This is not good. It was at a motorway service station and you can change a baby anywhere, on your lap, back seat of the car etc etc but they had 1 toilet for both.”
These are some of the reasons why I am recommending to the Ministry of housing, communities and local government (MHCLG) that legislation needs to be changed in order to make sure that the provisions of Changing Places toilets are in place. As you can see from my responses (see appendix 2.6) for question four the consensus is that there are many others who have experienced the same difficulties as I have. The SEND school I attend has young people from many different religions and cultures who have physical disabilities. They also need the provision of a Changing Places toilet. Therefore, I am campaigning to have Changing Places toilets readily available for all that need to access them.
Conclusion
Through extensive research I have found that a lot of people require Changing Places toilets, who have varying disabilities which is not limited to age or gender. This report highlights the inconsistencies which has an effect on peoples’ lives (refer to bar chart in appendix 3.0 to see the inconsistencies throughout the country). This why change needs to happen and it needs to happen now! I want to make it a personal goal of mine so that it doesn’t matter where I want to go, I don’t have to plan my trip around where the nearest Changing Places toilet is because I will know that any large public venue/ building nearby will have these vital facilities. This is why building regulations need to be reviewed in order to incorporate Changing Places toilets into major planning alongside ordinary toilets and disabled toilets. Therefore, I want there to be a change in legislation.


References:


Appendix 1.0
Katie Dent- Carers Account – 12/02/2018
We arrived at Westminster abbey at 12:00pm but Luke had said he needed to go to the toilet. We were aware of a changing places toilet at the houses of parliament, so we walked over to there. Staff informed us that the facilities were out of order. However, they gave us a list of other changing places toilets that were around the city of Westminster, of which there were only four other places. The nearest toilet that Luke could access was 0.7miles away at Victoria Embankment Gardens. This took us 25 minutes to get there as we got lost, as there were no sign posts for the changing places toilet. After finally locating the toilet, we discovered that we couldn’t use the hoist as it hadn’t been placed on charge previously. We had no choice but to change Luke in his chair. After walking back to Westminster Abbey, at which we arrived at 13:47pm it was nearly a whole two hours from initially arriving into London. Once in Westminster Abbey Luke, Rhian and I had a fantastic rest of the day.  


Appendix 1.1
Rhian Comley – Carers Account – 12/02/2018
On Monday 12th February, Luke, Katie and I travelled to London from Leicester for a day of exploring. Prior to our trip, Luke had researched where in London changing places toilets were located in order for us to be able to plan our day in relation to the toilets to ensure that Luke could have the most enjoyable and least disruptive day as possible. On arrival to the Houses of Parliament we asked at the gate whether we could go in and use the changing places toilet that we knew was located inside. The security team on the gate informed us that they were not sure whether it was working as it had been broken. They willingly said they would radio into the building to double check if it had been fixed or not. Unfortunately, the news returned that the changing places toilet had not been fixed, despite it being out of order for a few days. Our plan was to start our day off in Westminster Abbey, however our plans now had to be changed as we needed to go and find another accessible toilet for Luke. The security team outside the Houses of Parliament were apologetic and informed us of the next closest Changing Places toilet. This was located at Victoria Embankment Gardens – a good 25-minute walk away, through busy London, from where we were. Nevertheless, we started to make our way to Victoria Embankment Gardens to find the Changing Places toilet so that Luke could go to the loo and we could start enjoying our day. On arrival at Victoria Embankment Gardens, the toilets were not clearly sign posted, we had to ask around and walk around aimlessly for a while until we managed to locate them. The entrance to the toilet was very steep/uneven ground which made it very tricky to get Luke into the toilet. We were thoroughly relieved when we finally managed to find and get into the toilet. The relief soon turned into frustration when we realised that the hoist had not been put on charge and therefore was unusable. The hoist is an essential piece of equipment to toilet Luke and therefore this meant we found ourselves in a tricky situation. Katie and I had to use manual handling to toilet Luke – something which isn’t recommended for us or for Luke, however we couldn’t waste anymore time of out day wandering around London trying to find more changing places toilets, which to be frank, were probably going to be just as useless as the two that we had already travelled to. These series of events were highly frustrating for Katie and I, however even more so for Luke, as he was denied something that should be free and accessible for all. This added unnecessary disruption and frustration to our day which could of easily been prevented.










Appendix 2.1
Question 1 responses 

  • my child is now an adult, and needs a changing table and hoist in order to use a toilet. 
  • Not in my area but I am mithering the council about it 
  • When I need to use the toilet. Changing places toilets aren't just for children! 
  • I know there are some around but haven't looked for one when we've needed to 
  • She needs to lie down when being changed. 
  • But I am a disabled adult, and I need a hoist to be able to use the toilet when I am out or when I am at work. 
  • But I am a disabled adult, and I need a hoist to be able to use the toilet when I am out or when I am at work. 
  • A changing table 
  • A changing table is required 
  • We are very inhibited when going out 
  • Changing table 
  • Yes when my son need pad change he need table and hoist  
  • My daughter is non mobile and needs hoisting 
  • Yes, but he’s not a child, he’s a 22 year old adult now :) 
  • My daughter is now an adult but a full time wheelchair user so cannot use a toilet without being hoisted  
  • Changing table yes, hoist no 
  • My CHILD is now 27 yrs old and 6' tall but has always been doubly incontinent 
  • But for a disabled adult 
  • I need a 'changing places' bathroom for my elderly mother. She uses a hoist at home but when we go out she isn't able to use a toilet. 
  • We need a changing table but not a hoist yet.  

  • Not disabled 
  • But I still fully support that they should be much more widely available  
  • Not just children  
  • The two young men I care for both need a changing bed, one occasionally needs a hoist depending on how he is feeling  
  • Can do standing transfers. Does need space for 2 Carers along with wheelchair 

  • My son is now 11 bit when he was younger this would have been amazing.he always had to lie on the floor on a change mat... often in pubs  
  • Not my own child but those I work with 
  • Hoist not yet but maybe soon. Bench needed 
  • need table, not hoist






Appendix 2.3


Question 2 responses

  • My son is now 11 bit when he was younger this would have been amazing.he always had to lie on the floor on a change mat... often in pubs  
  • I won’t take my brother anywhere there isn’t a changing place nearby. Unfortunately this means we can’t go to some pretty amazing places 
  • Not my own child but those I work with 
  • Hoist not yet but maybe soon. Bench needed 
  • need table, not hoist 

  • There must be disabled toilets available. 
  • Always and if they are no good we don’t go. 
  • Disabled toilets are always too small. 
  • But there are so few Changing places toilets, so I have my mobile hoist and portable toilet in my van 
  • If there are no adequate facilities we don't go or can only go for a short time. 

  • Try not to stay away from home for too long. 
  • There's no point. There are never appropriate facilities. 
  • Unable to attend areas that do not have appropriate facilities for obvious reasons 
  • But we'd never go anywhere if we insisted! 
  • If I'm on my own we can not stay long 
  • Because he can't move himself we need hoist and table to change him 
  • If going out for the day will check first if there is a changing places facility 
  • Unless there is a Changing Places facility then life is very hard 
  • We have to, especially if we are travelling far from home 
  • We check the "changing places" map before leaving home 
  • Euston station urgently needs a Changing Place toilet!  
  • Cannot go far as have to be near home to hoist 
  • I can't take mum into a standard disabled toilet as I would have to lift her manually from her chair which really isn't possible anymore. 
  • Cleanliness is priority  
  • It needs to be big enough to accommodate a large wheelchair and also an assistant 
  • am a wheelchair user .  
  • Can’t visit if loo isn’t accessible  
  • With one if there is no changing place we can only go for 4 hours at a time and have to limit his fluid intake  
  • Definitely need an accessible toilet 
  • My son is now dry in the day but can't hold it in for long if he needs the loo 


  • I won’t take my brother anywhere there isn’t a changing place nearby. Unfortunately this means we can’t go to some pretty amazing places 









Appendix 2.5


Question 3 responses 

  • If close enough, otherwise we have to try and use car floor 
  • Do you mean take my child back home? I check in advance and don't go if we won't be able to cope. 
  • I have no children, but I have an adult sister who uses a wheelchair. 
  • We have to change her in the car 
  • Again, it's not just about children. Disabled adults who can't be lifted need the use of a hoist to use the toilet. 
  • Depends on the weather as sometimes use the back of our car 
  • Or I change her in the boot of my car, its up to her which she wants to do  
  • Sometimes there just isn’t any other choice. 
  • If we had too yes. 
  • Depends on the circumstances 
  • We just don’t go there 
  • Not yet but I will have to soon. 
  • As a disabled adult, sometimes I have to go home if the toilet facilities don’t have a hoist 
  • Although sometimes you have no choice and have to make the best of it 
  • I check beforehand. Will not go if no facilities 
  • He wears nappies 
  • Change Sean in the car, still on the floor. 
  • Change in the car if home is far away 
  • We make do 
  • We take blankets to lay her on, we need 2 adults to lift her 
  • If is to far from home how can we go back to home and change 
  • When younger if there were 2 of us we would lift our daughter out f her chair and change her on the floor! 
  • We would have to find a place to change her on a floor  
  • Or if his mum and I are both with him we may lift him onto the floor to change him, but only if he is ok for us doing this and if the toilet floor is clean and dry 
  • When my daughter was younger I would lift her on to the toilet, she is now too heavy and it would be dangerous 
  • It depends if it’s possible to “make do” 
  • Sometimes if my child has opened her boweks or her clothes are wet I have no choice but to change her in a regular toilet with no facilities. 
  • Either we leave early or depending on how many of us are around to help lift, we change on the floor 
  • We try other means of medical intervention to control toileting  
  • Mum wears pads but she really doesn't like using them and gets very distressed if she has to in public. 
  • We figure something out - usually changing somewhere discrete if it's nice weather outside, otherwise the dreaded toilet floor. 
  • N/a 
  • I go home 
  • We can now usually manage but in the past we would just make do 
  • Adult needs changing 
  • Back to my place of work  
  • Depends how long it has been since he was changed and whether he needs changing immediately  
  • Sometimes 
  • we don't go 
  


Appendix 2.6


Question 4 responses 

  • Where to start? So many places we can no longer go to. The last time I got into real difficulty trying to lift my adult daughter from the floor, in a small space, to get her back into her wheelchair, I vowed I would not do it again, but that makes so many places off limits to us (including, for example the whole of the South Kensington museums area - Science, Natural History, V&A, Albert Hall... nowhere near there has one). Trying to plan journeys around the small (though growing) number of service stations with a changing place, then having plans wrecked because of traffic problems creating massive toilet problems. Planning only short outings which can fit between the times when the toilet is needed. Lack of accessible toilets limits life and experiences so much. 
  • It’s cold, undignified and embarrassing for lucie to be changed in a car 
  • Please don't just say Changing Places toilets are for children. They're not!! Disabled adults need them just as much because we can't be lifted like children. I use them during work, socialising, or just when I drink too much booze!! 
  • Brittany Ferries need bigger disabled toilets not just changing places. 
  • We have found a lot of smaller places, for example, Marsh Farm in Essex, has CP facilities, yet huge ones - who the cost would be a drop in the ocean to - don’t feel they need to bother. We can really only visit somewhere if it has a facility now which means our other children miss out hugely.  
  • Lying a disabled person on a urine soaked toilet floor to change them or help them to the toilet is dangerous and is risking lives. Non disabled people would not accept it if there were no toilets they could use. Why should disabled people accept it? We need bulldog refs changed for all new builds and for legislation to ensure retro fitted facilities in all large public buildings.  
  • Hi Luke, Great to see you are doing so well supporting the Changing Places campaign. I'm Martin Jackaman and I am a Founding member of the Changing Places Consortium. It was in 2003 that I created a team from Nottingham City Council and the NHS which created the design and called it is a Changing Places toilet so we could meet the needs of people who cant use existing public toilets. By that I mean people who need Changing and need a Changing bench: those who need to be hoisted onto the toilet, and those who need support from carers whilst on the toilet because they have problems with balance, health needs or are hyperactive and need someone either side of the toilet, and of course the privacy screen means staff, assistants or carers can use the loo. So although I retired from the City Council in 2009 I am still working a day or so a week on a voluntary basis on the Consortium and campaigning for more toilets. I know how much you have done to get your team Leicester City to have a Changing Places toilet and you and your friends are doing great things to get the message out. So although I cant fill in the questions I just wanted to say well done and keep up the good work we need people like you to tell everyone how important it is. You're a real inspiration for other campaigners. Take care Best wishes Martin Ps if you want to know more about who I am look at the Changing Places website look at About us at the top of the website and Who is the Consortium. 
  • Good luck with everything.  
  • Holidays are difficult when out and about. 
  • Some time when there is no place to change I have to change on floor. 
  • We have had to previously leave a meal to go home. So have now adjusted the places we go. 
  • Disabled toilets in USA are of a suitable size and nature and are fit for purpose. 

  • It is unfortunately more often a welcome surprise to find somewhere which has a changing place toilet. It is improving though, keep going! 
  • Having to wait to get keys for the disabled toilets on Melton Road. 
  • I am a full time electric wheelchair user and use a hoist for all transfers. I am working for a charity, and the government paid for a hoist in the bathroom. They provide funding for disabled workers, called the Access to Work scheme. I had to wait for almost 3 months to get funding for the hoist - this meant that my employers had to wait 3 months for me to actually start my job! When the hoist broke down, they wouldn’t pay to repair it - that meant that I had to pay for the repairs, and I couldn’t go to work for two weeks. A couple of months ago I went shopping in a new place ... they had a changing places toilet so I thought everything would be fine. But when I needed to use the toilet, the hoist wasn’t working properly. This made it very difficult for me as I was scared that the hoist would break and I wouldn’t be able to get back onto my wheelchair. Having a properly maintained changing places bathroom is vitally important. 
  • Travelling long distances is also extremely difficult as no adequate facilities at service stations etc. 
  • Unfortunately I have to take a blanket with me to put on the floor in disabled toilet and change my child if I need too. 
  • I travel a lot with my daughter and most airports have no facilities for her changing. It would mean changing her on the floor. 
  • Not everywhere that could be classed as a Changing Place is listed on the official website. Sometimes it is worth looking f a leisure centre nearby and calling to ask. 

  • When we holiday in England the disabled toilets are always basic. A changing table would be ideal and a great idea. It's about time these were updated. 
  • It's unhygienic, undignified and inappropriate to have to change/toilet a disabled child on the floor! I support your campaign wholeheartedly thank you! 
  • Concerts/Festivals - no Changing facilities. Mobile units needed. Motorway service stations - Very few. 
  • This is such an important issue! It is unacceptable to have to change your child on a filthy toilet floor but this is the reality for so many parents who want to take their disabled children anywhere. 

  • I've had to change Harley on the floor or whilst he's in his wheelchair (wheelchair reclines a little bit.) I also changed him on a baby changing in that he has outgrown. Legs are hanging over side impossible to change. 
  • Yes I been lots of space airport and other place. There are disabled toilet but we can't se that one because he can't sit down, he can't ove and he need hoist and table. 
  • Although there are a lot more Changing Places facilities around there needs to be a universal way of accessing them that is only available to those that need them. They used to be able to be accessed with a radar key but as anyone can get one of these each facility has their own system which can sometimes mean a long walk somewhere to buy a key which doesn't make them readily accessible 
  • We have had many occasions where an accessible toilet could not even fit her wheelchair into the space (she’s only 12). We one went to Morecambe but the CP facility was locked and nobody could find the key... we live in Bingley ... our Town Council are renovating the public toilets and have not  
  • Although there are a lot more Changing Places facilities around there needs to be a universal way of accessing them that is only available to those that need them. They used to be able to be accessed with a radar key but as anyone can get one of these each facility has their own system which can sometimes mean a long walk somewhere to buy a key which doesn't make them readily accessible 
  • We have had many occasions where an accessible toilet could not even fit her wheelchair into the space (she’s only 12). We one went to Morecambe but the CP facility was locked and nobody could find the key... we live in Bingley ... our Town Council are renovating the public toilets and have not factored in a Changing Places ... I am campaigning right now to get them to change their minds. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated Fiona@carlhitchens.com  
  • Out of all the tourist attractions in and around our area only 1 has a bench and hoist. But the shopping mall also has one, great delight for my 7 year old son 
  • Check out my son’s petition and campaign blog: https://www.change.org/p/have-accessible-changing-facilities-at-every-uk-motorway-service-station 
  • I regularly have to sit on a dirty disabled toilet floor to change my daughter who should not have to be on the floor but at 5 is too big for a “normal” change table. She deserves more. 
  • I once had to change my child on the tarmac at an airport, surrounded by suitcases to try to achieve some privacy. I have personally been campaigning for Changing Places since 2003 - before the Mencap campaign began. Surely after 15 years it is time to make the provision of Changing Places compulsory under the building regs??? 
  • If we are visiting somewhere with no changing place (commonly football grounds) we change our daughter in the back of the car which is not ideal. 
  • We have changed our 10yo son in the back of the car in the pouring rain at service stations. We have given up changing him on filthy toilet floors as lifting him is both difficult and dangerous. We stay at home instead. 
  • Recently we went to Gatwick Airport Arrivals to collect my sons big sister and there are no Changing places in Arrivals so he had to sit in an overflowed pad and soak through to his wheelchair seat until we had driven home to strip down everything and shower & change 
  • We refuse to stay home because of toileting difficulties but on longer trips MUCH organisation is required. I have even phoned nursing homes and schools in advance (& found them very understanding) to request permission to use their hoisting facilities.  
  • My child doesn't need a hoist because he's still quite young, but too big to be changed on a baby's changing table, so the only alternative sometimes is the toilet floor. I'm sure I don't need to spell out how unpleasant that is. 
  • Had the loveliest surprise recently when visiting a local attraction and went to find space on the disabled loo floor, only to realise it was a Changing Places toilet. Wonderful! Means I'll be even keener to visit there again. 
  • Disabled toilets aren't big enough to even get a carer and electric wheelchair in, let alone start to change. I also had an experience where disabled toilet was shared with baby changing. This is not good. It was at a motorway service station and you can change a baby anywhere, on your lap, back seat of the car etc etc but they had 1 toilet for both. I have had experiences again at motorway services where the disabled toilet is locked. Not with radar key but with their own lock and you have to find a member of staff! We visited Windsor Castle and my daughter needed the loo and again the disabled toilet was locked, had to find a member of staff. She told me people have 'picnics' in there if we don't lock it?? My daughter and I both hate that they have small sinks in disabled toilets, what is that about?? Then blowers for hand drying which she hates but as there is no room they randomly go off everytime you go near them. I think this survey is brilliant and thank you for doing it :) 
  • I work in a school with children who need to use hoist etc. Before we can take them out, I have to check that the right facilities are available. Some of the places we would like to go to are: swimming pools, sports centres (some of these have really bad personal care facilities of old children) 
  • Even when facilities are reasonable, the public do disgusting things in them, spoiling it for the next person and costing time/money to clear up. If it’s not screwed to the wall, it gets nicked. 
  • Loads of occasions shopping going to watch rugby  
  • I live in Cornwall and I am aware that there are very few full changing places and am thoroughly in support if them. It's disgraceful that people cannot go out for days due to this. Evdry new public building should gave to include thus facility. Good luck to you. 
  • I need the WC myself, not for my children 
  • Children become adults; adults need Changing Places Toilets  
  • I’m someone who works with people who would benefit from a Changing Places, I fully support any change in law 
  • Having had to lie Ryan on the floor in the odeon disabled toilet... he had soiled at the start of the trailers, nearest changing place was 15 mins away and I was with another person who I couldn’t leave by car so not an option. Had to leave his wheelchair outside (he has a standard size chair And it barely fitted so if he could have transferred to the toilet he wouldn’t have been able to!) I had lie him on the floor with his head wedged between the toilet and bin... his legs were so long I had to bend them and put them on the bar across the door to be able to shut the door.. the staff members just stood by and watched and shrugged when I came out and was furious. We’ve not been back since... Cineworld are just as bad and keep ignoring our feedback  

  • Have been to places where toilets are too small 
  • I have to go on school trips with my daughter because her helpers are not allowed to lift her. We have a 2 to 3 hour window if I am out on my own with her because I can't lift her in my own, it's not safe for her or me! This is restricting her life, discriminating her and making her not included in normal everyday activities.  
  • We think this is a great project. It would help so many families. 
  • The Hive at the library in Worcester is the only changing place in our town 
  • Cadbury world have a brilliant changing place :) and Leicester city is quite well resourced as well. Twycross is somewhere we can’t go because they don’t have a changing place. My brother would love the zoo but it’s too far and too long a day not to be able to change him as and when needs be  
  • We have to limit drinks & hope we get through most of the day without too many toilet stops. It’s miserable & not fair.  
  • We always have to check if there is a changing places nearby. If there isn't anything we might decide not to go at all or we might go anyway knowing we will have to leave early when our daughter needs the toilet :( 
  • More often than not it is a disabled toilet floor if anywhere near clean. Sometimes it has to be in the boot of the car which means choosing between an accessible space in the car park or a private one 

  • My son is not physically disabled, but has severe and multiple cognitive disabilities, some of which do limit his movement. He is only 5 and we HAVE to use a buggy to take him places (can walk, but needs a 'safe' place. The abuse we have had both asking for a Changing Places facility, and for using disabled toilets (it looks like rude mother to be fair - but it's not) is ridiculous.  
  • Changed my twins on the floor a couple of times and sat on the toilet and changed them on my knee but far to big todo this now.  
  • Neither me nor my children need a changing places toilet, but there is no saying what the future may hold. My friend alerted me to the need of changing places when her disabled son grew too big for baby change. I guess I’m a Changing Places ally. The thought of putting a loved one on a toilet floor makes me sad and angry. I don’t put my handbag on the toilet floor if I can help it.  
  • My son is only 6, but changing is becoming increasingly difficult as he is getting bigger. Also swimming is impossible as there are no hoists or adequate changing facilities. 



Appendix 3.0 – Bar chart showing the number of changing places toilets in each county in the U.K.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Impact of Changing Places Toilets written by Luke Nash, a person directly affected.

The Impact of Changing Places Toilets written by Luke Nash, a person directly affected. On the 1 st June 2018, I launched a report which has been written to highlight the impact of Changing Places Toilets. Which affects over 250,000 people in their day to day lives. 'Over a quarter of a million people in the UK need Changing Places Toilets but there are only just over 1,000 across the UK.' (Changing places, 2018)  My long term plan is to hopefully pressurise parliament into improving the legislation on disabled toilets across the country.  In order to make sure no matter where you are in the United Kingdom every large building or venue includes facilities for those with profound disabilities. This is a basic human right, which the government is withholding from the 250,000 individuals across the United Kingdom! Therefore I want to persuade parliament to review the legislation regarding Changing Places Toilets. I have conducted an in depth survey in

Disabled car parking spaces.

NCP car park in Leicester-St Nicolas circle.  On the 2nd of November 2018, myself and two of my careers went into the centre of Leicester, to carry out Christmas shopping for my family. We took my car, which is a minibus size transporter. which I access from the rear of the vehicle. At the time we didn’t know whether we could park in the main high cross car park, due to the hight restrictions. Which meant we had to park even further away from our destination due to the hight restriction. Parking at the NCP car park meant a long walk in the cold and rain. The NCP car park in st Nicolas circle is a massive multi story car park with nearly 700 spaces for people to use.  When we arrived at the car park, we drove round looking for a disabled bay. We really tried to hunt one down due to the importance’s of the space. While we were looking for a disabled bay we realised that even if there was a suitable space on a high floor we could not park there due to the fact of there is